Water Safety Sector Capability Plan DRAFT
What is this report?
The Water Safety Sector Capability Plan is a set of actions to be undertaken in the short, medium and
Why was it developed?
The Water Safety Sector Capability Plan was an action from the Water Safety Sector Strategy 2020. It was developed to help address the water safety sectors’ capability, capacity and effectiveness in drowning prevention.
What was the process
in developing it?
One of the Water Safety Sector Strategy 2020 objectives was that by 2020 the sector would have the capability and capacity to work collectively to reduce drownings and injuries. A collaborative process has been employed to develop this report with a shared mission of collectively working together to reduce drownings and injuries.
Who was involved?
The report has been driven and owned by the four core drowning prevention agencies – Water Safety New Zealand, Surf Life Saving New Zealand, Coastguard New Zealand and Swimming New Zealand. Water safety sector stakeholders with a vested interest in water safety and drowning prevention were engaged with.
What are the key outcomes?
The sector needs to - In the short term:
- Obtain sustainable funding streams from Government
- Improve policy integration across the sector
- Develop a water safety sector Maori strategy
- Develop a sector action plan for Government engagement
- Complete the regional water safety strategies
In the Medium term:
- Develop a sector monitoring 7 evaluation strategy
- Develop a sector
- Explore options for joint strategic planning across the sector
- Develop a water safety sector participation framework
- Develop a water safety sector local government engagement strategy
- Review sector form and function
- Develop a sector infrastructure plan
What does it hope to achieve?
This is a sector document, put together by the sector for the sector. It shows how the sector works together and can continue to work together to improve drowning prevention effectiveness.
What are we going to
doing with this report?
The report is a guiding document which identifies proposed actions, responsibilities and desired outcomes to improve the water safety sectors’ capability, capacity and effectiveness in drowning prevention.