Vision and Mission
We are an island nation with some of the most magnificent waterways in the world. Our ocean, coasts, beaches, lakes and rivers help define us and reflect the people we have become. Water is life and in New Zealand, it’s our way of life. Experiences in, on or around the water are part of what we do and what makes us Kiwi. But sadly drownings and non-fatal drowning incidents are all too common.
All Kiwis, new New Zealanders and visitors having a safe experience in, on or around the waterways of Aotearoa, New Zealand. To respect water and be aware of the potential dangers to themselves and others and knowing how to prevent injury, preserve life and enjoy their water experiences
To educate, empower and support people throughout their life stages to safely have experiences in, on or around water, to the best of their knowledge, skills and ability.
Through our work:
- More people will influence others to have safe experiences in, on or around water.
- More people will come to respect the power of water and know their own ability to manage theirs and other’s water experiences
- More babies, toddlers and preschoolers will be nurtured around water by the people they trust
- More school-age children will learn water skills for life
- More young people will be exposed to water skills and pathways to water sports, volunteering and work experiences around water
- More new New Zealanders and visitors to Aotearoa, New Zealand, will adopt the Kiwi culture of being respectful of the water, the conditions and be water-wise.
Our work contributes to a thriving society for individuals, families and communities.
Water Safety New Zealand provides leadership, advocacy, policy development and funding to the water safety sector.
We are an association of members in the water safety sector with an elected board and recruited management and administration team. It is an incorporated society, with charitable status. The majority of our funding is received from the Lotteries Grants Board via
Donations made to Water Safety New Zealand receive tax credits and our Charities Services registration number is CC33799.