Coastguard Boating Education's Safe Boating programme is designed to provide practical, boating and water safety experiences for children.
Ask about Safe Boating at your local aquatic centre.
The programme includes in-water survival techniques, essential safety equipment (e.g. correct lifejacket selection and fitting), the importance of communications, and taking responsibility for personal safety. Boating activities are taught in a fun, controlled, and safe environment.
For more information contact Lisa Campkin at firstname.lastname@example.org
Surf Life Saving New Zealand delivers beach safety education to students through Beach Education and Surf To School.
Beach Ed is a full day surf safety course delivered at the beach by surf lifeguards.
The programme includes:
- Tour of a club
- Teaching of surf safety rules
- Identification of and how to escape a rip current
- Beach games - relating to a skill to stay safe on the beach including a sand sculpture of a rip current
- How to set up a beach patrol - reinforces safety messages
- Water activities - may include mock rescues, body boards, channel/hole identification, survival using flotation device.
- Lifeguard in a rip
- Being sun smart, the risks of hypothermia and first aid.
For information or to make a booking contact:
- Northern region: Clare 021 507510
- Bay of Plenty/Gisborne: Sarah 027 457 1019
- South Island: Caitlin 027 680 3756
- Wellington/Taranaki/Hawkes Bay: Netta 027 8446758