Know before you go - the basic Water Safety Code
The Water Safety Code consists of four simple rules to remember each time you venture near the water. It serves as a great starting point for planning a safe aquatic adventure.
- Learn water safety skills.
- Set rules for safe play in the water.
- Always use safe and correct equipment and know the weather and water conditions before you get in.
Watch out for yourself and others
- Always pay close attention to children you are supervising when in or near water.
- Swim with others and in areas where lifeguards are present.
Be aware of the dangers
- Enter shallow and unknown water feet first and obey all safety signs and warning flags.
- DO NOT enter the water after drinking alcohol.
Know your limits
- Challenge yourself
withinyour physical limits and experience.
- Learn safe ways of rescuing others without putting yourself in danger.