Eight ways to keep babies and toddlers water safe
- Adult supervision is imperative. Always keep them within arms' reach around water.
- If you're in a group, have an active adult supervision roster. Don't rely on children or teenagers, they are easily distracted.
- Identify water hazards in and around the home. Empty water from unused paddling pools and buckets.
- Use your Water Safety bathmat at bath times.
- Put your phone away. Avoid distractions such as texting and using social media.
- Teach your children
- Lifejackets. These are essential on a boat, must fit snuggly and have a crotch strap.
- Support your child to have enjoyable and positive early experiences